GuidePedia


The Floating Seahorse isn’t exactly the name I would have chosen. I always figured sea horses are constantly in the midst of some kind of floating/swimming action anyway, so I think this is also a fairly redundant title. Not to mention, as I begin this rant, I fail to see how a sea horse could describe a house (even a floating one…the house, I mean). But I think this proves my next point: A floating/submerged house is cool enough that even a silly name couldn’t ruin it.
Such is the story with the latest example of gaudy things you will find in Dubai. Located in a chain of islands known as “The Heart of Europe,” the luxury homes will float about 2 1/2 miles from the shores of Dubai. Below the surface of the water you’ll find a master bedroom and bath, while the rest of the house sits above sea level with a 500-square foot coral garden serving as the “yard.” And that, for the record, is where the seahorse connection comes in. According to the design firm, Kleindienst Group, “We will create an artificial coral reef beneath the luxury retreats, which will be a protected area in which seahorses can safely live and breed.”
The houses reportedly sell for $2.8 million and took more than 5,000 hours of research and 13,000 hours to design. So as much as I’ve taken liberties with the naming rights, I imagine the Kleindienst Group is awfully proud of their work. In the grand scheme of things, a floating luxury home is pretty darn cool and even cooler if a byproduct of its existence helps tiny little sea horses.

 
Top