GuidePedia

Gabriel Medina is out of the Drug Aware Margaret River Pro 2015. Jay Davies knocked out the 2014 world surfing champion from Brazil, at both The Box and Main Break.

The winner of the Trials has reasons to celebrate. Not only Davies defeated Medina, but he is also through to Round 3 of competition, in Western Australia's most dangerous breaks. An impeccable deep tube ride put Jay in the next heat against Mick Fanning.

"I'm feeling super stoked. It's a beautiful day in West Oz, and I get to surf against some of my idols. I watched Gabriel win the World Title last year, and I was pumped to get the chance to surf against him at one of the best waves in the world," said Davies.

"I get to surf here all the time so hopefully that will help me get through some more rounds. It's so beautiful out there right now; we had shark cruise through the lineup which was a little sketchy, but it was only a baby one eating some fish."

Ricardo Christie, the sole representative from New Zealand, won secured his first CT heat. The Kiwi surfer defeated Filipe Toledo, winner of the first event of the year.

"I feel like I've just won the competition. It's been a tough start to the year for me, and it's pretty sick to have an event out here in waves like this. I had a bit of trouble yesterday, and I got pumped. I didn't know where to sit, but I've kind of figured it out a bit more today," added Christie.


Local star Taj Burrow managed to overcome Brett Simpson to advance through to Round 3. Despite breaking a board, Burrow found a 13.67 heat total

"There's some pretty wild waves out there today. I got a medium one, perhaps a wave I wouldn't normally take in a free surf, I was pumping through it pretty deep and hit bump and my board broke straight away. It's a pretty good day out here, but in a heat you can't be as selective, and you just have to go," concluded Taj Burrow.

Drug Aware Margaret River Pro 2015 | Round 2 Results
Jay Davies (AUS) 15.17 def. Gabriel Medina (BRA) 7.67
Adriano de Souza (BRA) 13.90 def. Alejo Muniz (BRA) 11.33
Josh Kerr (AUS) 9.33 def. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 4.83
Ricardo Christie (NZL) 13.26 def. Filipe Toledo (BRA) 13.07
Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.67 def. Brett Simpson (USA) 7.17
Owen Wright (AUS) 18.50 def. Dusty Payne (HAW) 10.90
Nat Young (USA) 11.50 def. Keanu Asing (HAW) 2.43
Glenn Hall (IRL) 5.44 vs. Kolohe Andino (USA) 4.90
Adam Melling (AUS) 7.53 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 5.47
Italo Ferreira (BRA) 12.26 vs. Wiggolly Dantas (BRA) 11.66
Jadson Andre (BRA) 10.83 def. Matt Banting (AUS) 7.17
Kai Otton (AUS) 16.83 def. Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 13.07

Drug Aware Margaret River Pro 2015 | Round 3 Match-ups
Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Jeremy Flores (FRA)
Michel Bourez (PYF) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)
John John Florence (HAW) vs. Adam Melling (AUS)
Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Sebastian Zietz (HAW)
Nat Young (USA) vs. Miguel Pupo (BRA)
Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Jay Davies (AUS)
Adriano de Souza (BRA) va. Ricardo Christie (NZL)
Julian Wilson (AUS) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)
Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Freddy Patacchia Jr. (HAW)
Josh Kerr (AUS) vs. Italo Ferreira (BRA)
Owen Wright (AUS) vs. Jadson Andre (BRA)

 
Top