GuidePedia

In 2003, at just 13, Bethany Hamilton lost her arm in a shark attack off the coast of Kauai in Hawaii.
She never let the incident scare her away from the water however - and now, 12 years later, the pro-surfer is still catching waves every day, and all while six months pregnant.
The 25-year-old - who is the 53rd ranked female surfer in the world and appeared on the last season of the Amazing Race with her husband Adam - says she doesn't think being pregnant has had a negative impact on her surfing.

"It's crazy, but I feel like I've done some of my best surfing prego! At about five and a half months I really started to feel pregnant while surfing. I would get up a little slower and just feel a bit off from my normal self. But I'm fully enjoying the ocean," she told fitness blog FitBump 360.
She does acknowledge that she'll have to slow down, however: "As enthusiastic as I am to keep a healthy me and stay strong for surfing and life, I think it is important to rest when you need to and not overdo it. Our body works hard and we need to care for it. But with that in mind, giving birth may be one of the most physical events a woman goes through, so being active and keeping muscles alive and ready is what I believe we need to do."

 Bethany and her husband Adam, a Christian youth minister, share the news of her pregnancy. Photo: YouTube. 

But she did say in a recent YouTube video that she wants to stay on the board "as long as I can." Adding, "Once the belly's pretty big, maybe I'll just mellow it out and spend more time swimming and enjoying the ocean."

However, Dr. Daniel Roshan, an ob-gyn with NYU Langone Medical Centre, told the NY Daily News that Hamilton should pick a different workout while pregnant due to the risks of surfing.
"Surfers have a chance of falling in the water, and hitting big waves can cause trauma to the abdomen," he explained.

 
Top