GuidePedia

We've all seen one too many twee pregnancy announcements.
But Bethany Hamilton made one to remember as she and husband Adam Dirks revealed they were expecting their first child together.

Taking to a longboard, the professional surfer revealed her baby bump as her proud partner stroked her waist. Then, the two stood up to catch a wave together.
Scroll down for video 


The 25-year-old - who famously lost her left arm in a shark attack in 2003 - shared a video on Monday saying: 'So we have a little surprise for you... baby on board!'
The couple, who married in August 2013, informed fans about their baby boy with a pre-recorded interview from their Hawaiian home.
'In baby terms I'm about 22 weeks, which is about halfway there,' Bethany revealed.


'It's been a pretty crazy last four months finding out that we're going to be parents. Life's kind of going to be changing and kind of just started to prep for bringing a new little being into the world.'
Adding: 'It's really exciting. I've been surfing throughout my whole pregnancy. I plan to surf as long as I can.'
'Once the belly's pretty big maybe just like mellow it out and spend more time swimming and just enjoying the ocean and doing other activities,' she admitted about slowing down on the surfing.

So will raising a child with one arm be difficult? 'I'll figure it out and be creative,' said Bethany.
'Motherhood with one arm, I kind of think about it,' she continued. 
'I kind of forget that I have one arm, a squirming baby and changing diapers and just me could be really challenging but I think how I live life now I just adjust and adapt to different things and I'll find my own ways to take care of the baby.'
Bethany's story became an inspiration to many after she wrote about it in the book Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board.
The book was made into a movie with Dennis Quaid and Carrie Underwood in 2011. Anna Sophia Robb portrayed Bethany.

'She's pregnant!' Adam pointed to his wife's bump as he revealed their 'baby boy is due in early June'

At 13, Bethany lost her arm, and 60 percent of the blood in her body, surfing off the coast of Kauai when she was attacked by a shark.
She did not let the incident impact her dreams of surfing, however, and she began competing professionally four years later in 2007. 
In 2010, she was the twentieth ranked woman among surfers.
She is also a motivational speaker and tours the country telling her inspiring story.
Bethany cites her Christian faith as one of her biggest inspirations to pursuing her surfing career.
And her Christian youth minister husband Adam shares her beliefs as well.

Lovebirds: Bethany and Adam married in August 2013 (pictured soon after he proposed in April 2013)

 
Top