GuidePedia

Hiroto Ohhara has conquered the 2015 Vans US Open of Surfing, in two-foot surf at Huntington Beach, California.

Japan is celebrating an historic win. Ohhara defeated Tanner Hendrickson to become the first ever Japanese surfer to claim the US Open of Surfing. The victory was sealed with an excellent 9.17 when there were only three minutes remaining.

"I don't know how to say it; I'm just so stoked. It feels like something very special today. Now I think I'm really looking forward to the rest of the year. I've learnt everything here, and I got a good result here," expressed Hiroto Ohhara.

"It feels so amazing right now. I'm super stoked to win this event. I just want to thank everyone. This means that the Japanese are no. 1! I really want to be on the CT now, so I'll just keep focused and concentrate on the next event."

In the Women's final, Johanne Defay won her first Championship Tour event, after defeating Sally Fitzgibbons in the decisive heat. Two huge turns in the last wave gave the surfer from Reunion Island a precious victory.

"I don't think I can put it into words. It's very hard to digest, and I don't know how to say how I feel - it's so crazy. I'm very happy to have some of my friends here, and I'm thinking of the people back home too," added Defay.

"I guess it's all the work I've done before and it's all come together. I've just been sticking to same game plan, trying to get a lot of waves. It was tricky at the start, but then I got that score which put me in a better position. I feel really good, last year everything was so new and this year I feel way more comfortable."

2015 Vans US Open of Surfing
Men
Hiroto Ohhara (JPN) 14.50
Tanner Hendrickson (HAW) 12.90
Women
Johanne Defay (FRA) 13.54
Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) 11.83


 
Top