GuidePedia

Kelly Slater believes that it's make-or-break time for him in the World Surf League. He says, "it's either quit or win."

With a couple of throwaways, Kelly Slater is under pressure. The world, the fans, the media, everyone wants the 11-time world surfing champion to perform at the highest level and, ultimately, to win events.

Slater is the most successful pro surfer of all time at Fiji. But will he step up his game in Cloudbreak and Restaurants? Will the Floridian find inspiration in his "Kelly Slater In Black and White" days? Once thing's for certain: Slater understands the past to prepare for the future.

"Obviously I would call this a slump for me. This is the worst start I've ever had on Tour, the slowest start, and probably the least amount of confidence I really carried into it," revealed Kelly Slater.
"I'm fine talking about it today. It is what it is, and I got people harassing me left and right, just little jabs here and there. And that was what spurred me on to jump back on the horse."

"I'm fine with it. It's either going to click for me here or I'm going to get tired of losing and either quit or win. I've always connected my surfing to my results, even as a spiritual thing for me, because it's sort of like the results are kind of a symptom of how you're doing, good or bad. That is how it feels for me."

A victory in Fiji would catapult Kelly Slater in the World Surf League rankings. And yes, he still has time to join the world title race.

"When I'm really relaxed, doing the right things in my life, everything's coming together in the right way that my results follow. For me, I don't know exactely what it is yet... It will click at some point, I think. Maybe I can scare a couple of guys again."

 
Top