GuidePedia

Adriano de Souza defeated John John Florence to claim the Drug Aware Margaret River Pro 2015, at the Main Break.

The Brazilian surfer rejoiced. The fifth victory of his ten-year career on the Dream Tour had a Hawaiian flavour. De Souza opened the final with an excellent 8.93 for two big carving turns ending with a free-fall drop.

Florence never quite managed to match his opponent's scores, and Adriano kept building his game with another 8.60-point wave. Despite John John's late 9.00 wave, the Brazilian used his last minute priority to his advantage.

"I've just beaten the best surfer on the planet! I'm so happy, and I feel so motivated. After reaching the final in Bells and not winning I was really spurred on. It's such an honor to put my name on the stairs here. Every morning I walk down them and see those names and just wish that my name would be there some day," expressed De Souza.

"John John is one of the most crazy talents we have on Tour and we just had a blast out there. I've been watching John John through this event, and he's been killing it. I'm really motivated going into Rio, and I feel like I have to keep improving and putting in hard work."
Adriano de Souza travels to Rio de Janeiro with the gold jersey on. He is the new leader of the 2015 World Surf League, with Mick Fanning in second place and Filipe Toledo in third.

"I think everything that happened in this contest was a challenge. We had great conditions at The Box and amazing conditions at Main Break. I really believed in myself out there, and I'm so happy and so pleased to win. The World Title race is well and truly underway now, and people will definitely be trying to catch me," concluded Adriano.

Drug Aware Margaret River Pro 2015 | Final
1. Adriano de Souza (BRA) - 17.53
2. John John Florence (HAW) - 16.87


 
Top