GuidePedia



The world title race is frozen. After watching Gabriel Medina falling at the hands of Josh Kerr, Kelly Slater was not able to capitalize on the Brazilian's "early" loss.

Jadson Andre and John John Florence entered fast-moving waters for the final, in pure French beach break-style, with shifty peaks and bumpy wave faces.

The Hawaiian stole the first quality ride (7.17 points) by getting barreled in a big roller, proving he is an all-rounded surfer, whether he's competing in beach or reef breaks.

With time ticking away, it became clear that Andre was not selecting the best waves, and missing a couple of good-looking opportunities. Florence wasted no time and kept adding scores to the board.

The tide was rushing in, and 50 percent of all waves were closing out. Surfers had to master the art of reading waves in the turbulent line-up, and jet skis were getting them out the back.

Ten minutes to go. John John Florence betters his 5.00 ride with an incredible barrel followed by a huge closeout reentry (8.83 points). Andre's fate sealed, in combo situation. The crowd went wild, and the Hawaiian raised his flag.

"I'm so stoked. I was so nervous in the final. It's the best feeling in the world. I haven't won a final since Brazil a few years ago. It's given me a lot of confidence. I will enjoy it right now", expressed Florence.

"I had a few weird things happen for me at the start of the year and I’ve made some adjustments recently. I've spoken to a lot of guys about the title and they all say that the title campaign actually starts the year before. I'm hoping for a few more good results this season to really make a run for it in 2015."
The penultimate stop on the 2014 ASP World Tour is the Moche Rip Curl Pro Portugal, to be surfed in Peniche, between October 12th-23rd.

Quiksilver Pro France 2014 | Final
John John Florence (HAW), 16.00 def. Jadson Andre (BRA), 4.57

 
Top