GuidePedia


Bede Durbidge is lucky to be walking. Hell, he’s lucky to be alive. After a horrendous wipeout at Pipe last year, doctors discovered that he’d shattered his pelvis, among other things. His surfing career was in doubt. Surgeons crammed him full of plates, rods, and screws, and Bede began a very long, very painful road to recovery. And now, after more than six months of waiting, Bede is surfing again.
Surgeons inserted a 17 cm rod, a metal plate, and four screws to hold him together. Photos: Facebook
Surgeons inserted a 17 cm rod, a metal plate, and four screws to hold him together. Photos: Facebook
“After being out of action for nearly 6 months, I’m back surfing again,” he wrote on Instagram. “Well standing up and cruising along, which I’m so grateful for.”
Although Bede is basically retraining his body to surf, his choice of board probably isn’t something you’d expect to see him on–but it should be a good reminder to those trying to learn to surf: even the best surfers in the world don’t ride performance thrusters when they’re starting out.
“This 7’6 single fin will be my board for the next few weeks, then I’ll progress to something smaller,” Durbidge continued. “I can’t thank everyone enough that has helped me get back to where I am today. My wife, daughter, family, friends, sponsors, medical team, WSl, tour mates and all you people that have followed my recovery journey. Thanks for all amazing supportive messages along the way. They have helped push me everyday [sic]. I’m so grateful to be able to surf again and I’ll never take another surf for granted.”
Glad to see you back in the water, Bede. You’ll be getting barreled again before you know it.

 
Top